Thursday, September 6, 2007

Adoption Reunions...or adoption introductions?

re·un·ion (r-ynyn)
n.
1.
a. The act of reuniting.
b. The state of being reunited.
2. A gathering of the members of a group who have been separated: a high school reunion.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.


Wondering out loud this morning about adoption reunions...I've looked around at different adoption registry sites and they say things like "adoption reunion registry", "adoption reunion resources", "adoption reunion links", and "adoption reunion database." There's even an entry in Wikipedia.

Is it really a reunion? I wonder...

What was the routine in the late 60s in California for women giving up a child for adoption at birth? Did they see them? Did they stay for a day or two with the newborn or immediately separated? Or are we talking 'reunion' from the basest sense as in separation with the womb?

I don't know "when" I was given up for adoption...probably right away I'd guess, but don't know. I wasn't adopted until after my first birthday and by then I suppose my 'parent' was the state of California.

I wonder what they put on your birth certificate for that period between being given up for adoption and being adopted. I mean...you still exist...so you have a birth certificate right? Or are you just a little undocumented alien?

getting sidetracked....

back to wondering about the SOP in California in the late 60s... guess I'll bop around on the internet and see if I see any other adoption stories that mention how adoptions were handled...

......just curious. :)

No comments: