Monday, September 3, 2007

Non-identifying Information about an Adoption

Okay...thanks for the heads up from Ungrateful Little Bastard (cute name) about the California Adoptees group on Yahoo.

So much to ponder. I am such a chicken.

What is the non-identifying information that can be retrieved? Is certain information about an adoption findable easily? I mean...other than the date?

I do not live in California (not even close to California), so would that hamper any 'petitioning' of the county to be done about an adoption that took place in California?

I figured the success chances of finding a match on registries wouldn't be too high...the ones I've looked seem to quite random....more like hitting the lottery kind of odds.

One more dumb question....my parents are alive and well. I know I am an adult, but would any requests for information go through them as well? Just wondering...

p.s. cute 'Facts of Life' clips... now I'm off to see what all else you've posted :)

1 comment:

Ungrateful Little Bastard said...

Hey thanks!

First off, you're not a chicken. Give yourself big props for having the courage to even think about this - so many don't because it's just too scary. Just go at your own pace of whatever you feel comfortable with. The slower the better, it gives you time to read books and make connections with other adoptees from your state.

I'm not a member of the California Adoptees group but again I'd say so many of the questions could be answered there. In most closed records states, what you get varies from county to county, and even then it depends on the judge in charge. For some counties, your non-id will be all of your original adoption papers with names and addresses blacked out. In other counties it might just be a one-page typed summary that states things like how old your parents were, their occupations and hobbies, what their parents did, sometimes the reasons for surrender, etc.

As far as the location that depends on the judge too. I was adopted in PA but live in NY now. Most PA ex-pats I know were able petition the county long distance by just sending all of their stuff notarized, but in my county the judge wanted me to appear. That's usually NOT the way it is, most judges will accept distance petitions, I just had the bad luck to have a judge who didn't like adoptees and moms searching for each other.